Thursday 4 April 2019

Instagram

There are many specifically film-based photography accounts on Instagram; I've added my own account under the handle parallel_movement. Over the years, I've selectively adopted different platforms (having written this blog for more than eight years with fair to regular consistency), but the main reason for not joining Instagram is that, at the time of writing, I don't have a smartphone and have no intention of possessing one in the foreseeable future. It is of course possible to run an Instagram account without a smartphone with some work-arounds; I've created the account in part to help promote the Undertow exhibition, open until 13th April (at Sluice HQ, 171 Morning Lane, London), in which I am showing a series of prints made in the darkroom - but as it's not a show about photography, and, as such, not everything I have been posting is just film photography - but a fair proportion is. I can't say how the account might develop, or how committed I feel towards it at this stage - but it exists.


2 comments:

  1. I joined a project that is Instagram based and find it annoying. To work around using a smart phone (which I was not willing to do), I had to get a dropbox account; transfer images from my computer to dropbox; then open my dropbox account on my Chrome Book (Instagram will accept Chrome books and tablets); And finally transfer the images from my Chrome Book to Instagram. Quite a Task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The work-around I use is via the developer tools in Safari: once enabled (they are turned off by default) you can choose the browser to emulate the iPhone under 'User Agent' and upload to Instagram from a desktop that way.

      Delete